Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Posh look without the posh price tag

I was listening to the radio last week and heard that, according to certain sources, Victoria Beckham is indeed living up to her “Posh” name and spending £150,000 (about $240,000) on the nursery for her fourth child (reportedly a girl) due this summer.

How sad, I thought, that a sweet little baby is going to sleep and play all alone in a gingerbread cottage behind their mansion. After all, with that amount of money, surely Posh Spice is building a small house.

On the other hand, maybe I shouldn’t be too quick to criticize this expectant mom. After all, I very clearly remember my own nesting period. My daughter is almost four now, but I remember the sleepless nights during pregnancy, when she would kick me awake at 3 a.m. and I would go to the computer and spend the next few hours pouring over pictures of bedding.

Like any expectant mom, I wanted to create the perfect room for our baby. We knew we were having a girl, but I’m not all about pink. So I scoured countless numbers of Web sites looking for unique bedding – something with blues and greens that would give the room a relaxing but cheery feel.

I truly became obsessed with this aspect of preparing for our baby’s arrival. So I understand how the excitement and anticipation of a new family member can drive a woman to excessive nesting activity.  However, I also spent a great deal of time studying “Baby Bargains” – an absolutely essential guide for expectant moms looking to save a few pennies. Because I didn’t have $240,000. And even if I did, I’m not sure I’m the type of woman who would spend it on the nursery instead of, say, putting most of it in a college fund and making do with a mere $10,000 for the nursery.

What about you? Did you/will you go for a posh nursery? Or are you going to rush out and buy your own copy of “Baby Bargains”?

Amy McCall is a Marketing Manager with Texas Health Resources who settled on lovely blue/green patchwork bedding from Pottery Barn and had her mother-in-law sew window treatments to keep costs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment