Monday, May 30, 2011

A Mother’s Love in the Midst of Heartache

As a working mother, sometimes I get so caught up in “keeping my schedule,” I forget to just take time to enjoy all the people in my life. One of the most precious people that God has given me is my daughter. Despite the fact that she is only seven, she seems to have this sense of perception and wisdom that is far beyond her years. She has taught me so much more about life than I ever imagined I could learn on my own.

Recently, I was given a sobering reminder of how precious life truly is and what a gift it is to spend time with our loved ones. Experiencing loss is hard enough, but to have to help a child understand it can seem like an insurmountable task. The fear of her initial reaction almost paralyzed me and yet I found that it was almost exactly the opposite of what I’d expected. 

I’d told myself that I had to find the strength to support her and help her work through her emotions. As I struggled to find the right words to say to explain the situation to her, she like always, seemed to already know. When I began to explain this tragedy to her, a little smile appeared on her face and she looked at me and her father and said, “He is with Jesus.” Her strength was a breathtaking reminder that God is always with us. 

Even now, as I continue to try to make peace with the situation, she has helped me. When I am overcome with sadness, it is during those times that she reminds me of how much she loves me and how special I am to her. I know that I am staring in the face of God in the form of His little angel on Earth and she is reminding me of His everlasting love and mercy; even in the most difficult of times.

Nikki Hall-Branch is a Communications Coordinator for Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth  and mother of one very special little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment