Monday, October 24, 2011

Halloween: To Be or Not To Be

While Halloween is not “the” holiday in our household, it is certainly the most talked about. The decorations and goodies are always a no brainer, but the costume decision is something I always the main topic of conversation or should I say… debate.

In years past, my daughter Kyah has been everything from Santa Claus to Astrid from “How to Train Your Dragon.” One thing that is consistent is that I can always expect the unexpected from my sweet little girl. This is year was no different.

I asked the question “what do you want to be this year”, and thought I was prepared for anything but she replied, “I want to be Draculaura, mom. She’s super cool! ”

Not having the slightest clue as to what she was talking about, I decided to refer to my trusted advisor, the internet.

What I found did not make me happy.

I discovered that “Draculaura” was among a group of little monsters best known as the children of famous monsters such as Dracula, Medusa and Frankenstein. I immediately began to think of characters I could persuade her to be instead of this little creature. As I approached the conversation, I began to think about all the times that my mother allowed me to be exactly who I wanted and how that small act has always empowered me to do just that - for Halloween and any other day. I realized that my desire to express myself far outweighed her desire to make me a pretty princess for Halloween.  I’d like to think that the experience is one of many that have given me a strong sense of self to this very day.

Needless to say, I put me aside and purchased the costume. I am still not 100 percent with the decision, but I feel like she will appreciate it later in life.

Any words of wisdom from you moms out there to help me overcome this? I’d sure love to hear them!

Nikki Hall-Branch is a Communications Coordinator at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth and determined Mom to one equally determined daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment