Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Maybe baby

Part Two: Looking for answers

This is part two of my series on our journey of trying to have a baby. I’d like to throw in a disclaimer if I may: I hope no one reads my entries and walks away with any pity because that isn’t necessary. I wouldn’t be able to write about any of this if I had not made peace with all of it, so know that I am sharing it just to share. No poor me party going on here!

Now that we have that out of the way, on to part two.

 I believe I left you hanging last time with us being “stuck” in our plans to procreate. And as I mentioned in my last blog entry, when Type A people encounter a problem, they move on to find a solution. So here we were with Brett’s vasectomy reversal being successful and my OB/GYN saying “everything looks fine” and nothing happening. To say that this was frustrating is an understatement.

Since I was on a quest for answers and options, my OB/GYN let me try a few rounds of Clomid which stimulates ovulation. This will work, I thought to myself. The medication even had on the side effects that you might have twins so it was bound to work on me just for one, right? Wrong. Again, I would do the Clomid cycle, get an ultrasound, they would say “looks great! If you try between this day and this day it should work.” Nada. After three or four months of this, the next logical step seemed to be a fertility clinic because I was in search of a solution.

I was lucky that my best friend works for one of the top fertility clinics in the Metroplex. I was sure I would find the answer to my problem here. The solution. They did the workup on both of us and decided I needed a hysterosalpingogram, or what is commonly referred to as an HSG. This test is an X-ray test that looks at the inside of the uterus and fallopian tubes and the area around them. A contrast dye is used and pictures are taken using a steady beam of X-ray (fluoroscopy) as the dye passes through the uterus and fallopian tubes. The whole point of this test is to see if your fallopian tubes might be blocked. Not the most pleasant test I have endured, but I was hopeful. This was great. Take a test, find the problem, fix the problem, have a baby.

Well, the test revealed no problems. My tubes were clear so that wasn’t the issue. Just so you know when you start to venture down the path of fertility treatments there are many steps and tests that are done to determine what course of treatment would work best. With the HSG done and some sperm on ice, what now? What was next? I still needed a solution.

The fertility clinic recommended in vitro fertilization at this point. In case you didn’t know, this is around $12,000 and chances are you have will to do more than one round of it in order to get pregnant. This was not where we wanted to go in this journey. I mean, we had already plunked down cash and gone through a vasectomy reversal, now this? I was searching for answers and not finding anything I wanted to hear. The last part of that sentence is important-not finding anything I wanted to hear.

So I will leave you at this crossroads for now but will give you a teaser for the next entry where I plan to dive into the emotional impact this whole thing was starting to have on me.

Until next time!

Makala Pollard

No comments:

Post a Comment