Friday, October 29, 2010

Creating calm from chaos with a family calendar

Ever have one of those days where everyone is going to be in a million places at once? Last night was one of those evenings. My dear husband (DH) had a quarterly meeting with the Kiwanis on Thursday evening, leaving me to get both kiddos. T. had baseball practice at 6 and both H. and T. had “Thursday School” at church at 7. Grandma’s apartment complex had a family event from 5:30 to 7:30, and somewhere in there I needed to probably serve a non-McDonald’s meal. Oh, and I had a few errands to run too, including picking up costumes for today's costume mania.

I’m tired just remembering it.

As every mom knows, it’s sometimes hard to keep up with a family’s schedule. A friend of mine introduced me to an online calendar service a couple of weeks ago and I am loving it. (www.cozi.com if anyone’s interested.) The calendar will send text messages to both me and DH to remind us of any deviations in schedules. T. needs to wear silly socks for Red Ribbon Week? I’ll get a reminder e-mail. Picture order due? I had the service send me a text at 7:15 so I wouldn’t forget it. DH needs to pick up kids because I have a late meeting? Text.

I have a paper calendar at home (Susan Boynton’s Mom Calendar) and it’s great—as long as everyone looks at it on the way out. However, with both of us constantly on our smartphones, I think we may have found a solution to our “Oops, I forgot to tell you…” conversations. The one challenge is to get DH fully on board. I’m hoping that the texts are more helpful than annoying to him. (It does beat me calling him a million times to be sure he’s where I think he’s supposed to be though. Hmmm….need to use that argument if he brings this up.)

The reality is that with everyone pursuing their own interests, we need good coordination. Take next Saturday. I am volunteering for the Junior League’s Holiday Magic event, want to take kids to breakfast with Santa, we have a baseball game in there, and my grandmother’s birthday party is a must attend. Reminders must be made to buy gift, make casserole, wash uniforms, iron dress clothes….

Now did I remember to tell DH about that party? Oops. Honey, I forgot to tell you….

Anyone else have this problem?

Reace Alvarenga-Smith, APR
Public Relations Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment