Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Mommy, my head is itchy

“Mommy, my head is itchy.”

Ut oh.

Please God, don’t let it be...

Ew..ew….ew!!!!!

Yep. It was lice. Whether she got it at camp, at church, at any random birthday party we went to, or the festival where she tried on a hat, this was not good.

Thankfully my hubby dealt with the initial issues. He trudged over to the pharmacy to get a recommendation from the pharmacist as to what medicine to use. He drug all the sheets, comforters, stuffed animals and anything head-related and washed it in hot water and then dried it in a hot dryer.

Poor H. was miserable having to get her hair “denitted” twice a day. We would run her hair through the straightening iron on the days we didn’t blow dry her hair. All things she considers torture. The thing is, you have to stay vigilant with those little suckers. You’re not really in the clear for about two weeks (or so I was told).

Luckily, my hubby is great with the kids. When removing the nits, he latched on to my daughter’s innate need for revenge and would show her the live lice as he took them off her head. They would then name them and H. would turn on the water in the sink and watch “Itchy” or “Scratchy” go down the drain.

“The pharmacist wants me to remind you that lice is common and that anyone can get it,” my hubby told me. “It doesn’t reflect on your parenting.”

Ha! No matter how much you tell yourself that, you can’t help but think it.

Especially when the same kid comes down with Pink Eye in her left eye the following week. (It hit the right eye the following week.) We started calling her Typhoid H.

The good news is that we managed to get rid of the lice (and the pink eye.) No one else came down with anything. (Thank God!)

So, poor H. No more trying on hats anywhere we go. I think we all learned that lesson the hard way.

Reace Alvarenga-Smith is a Public Relations Manager for Texas Health Resources and mother of two.

No comments:

Post a Comment