Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Planning to a fault


My name is Mindy and I have a problem. What’s my problem you ask? I’m an obsessive planner. I am one of those freaky people who plan what they are going to wear days in advance. I plan conversations, future purchases, and when it comes to gatherings or events, don’t even get me started.

I believe that being a full time working mother of two, wife, daughter, sister, friend, home and pet owner, the only way my life works is to have a plan.  With my first child, having a plan relieved my anxiety of leaving the house.  I planned our outings around feedings and nap time. I also planned what was in the diaper bag, and where we could stop along the way for diaper changes and nursing.  I’m sure you can see how all of this planning could be exhausting. I can never entertain someone with a spontaneous play date without first doing a manic cleaning of my house and planning activities, snacks, and drinks.

One thing parenting teaches you is best laid plans. You can have a beautiful plan, be right on time and then guess what, little Suzie has a diaper blow-out and you are back to square one.  Having a second child has forced me to relax a little. I still have a plan but I don’t freak out quite as much if things don’t work out exactly as I “planned” them. 

I am currently planning our first family trip involving air travel. I’m getting anxiety just typing the words. Researching and preparation will help ease my anxiety but will also help to make my plan come off without a hitch, or at least I pray that’s how it will be. 

My resolution this year is to keep on planning, but not to lose sight of the here and now, present!

Mindy Seals works in the information technology division at Texas Health Resources and is balancing work, married life and raising two kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment