Friday, January 20, 2012

Sports Overload?

Now, please don’t throw things at me, because I do realize that there is a childhood obesity epidemic, and that participating in organized sports is one way to combat that epidemic, in addition to the many other wonderful things that organized sports teach kids. But with the two older boys in multiple sports, plus a toddler, I get a little overwhelmed sometimes. And yes, if you remember from previous posts, there are actually 4 parents to help juggle the 2 older boys’ games and practices, so I realize we may have it a little easier than some traditional 2-parent families, simply because we have more drivers to help shuttle. So, I realize I might sound a little whiny here – please forgive me a weak moment.

Basketball season is about to start in our house. I love the boys’ basketball seasons – the games are action packed and fast paced, and it helps that they’re all indoors, so extreme temps don’t cause me to miss games because the littlest fan doesn’t need to be in them. As I was putting their schedules on the nifty new planner Santa brought me, I realized 1) that a 5-week yoga workshop I’d been hoping to attend was likely not possible and 2) just how busy our next eight weeks will be.

And right after basketball ends, baseball starts (no, I’m not kidding; in fact, sometimes there’s overlap).  Baseball season is too long, in my humble opinion…but I digress. The point is life often feels like a never-ending sporting event in my neck of the woods. But the kids enjoy it, and it keeps them active, so somehow we manage it all.

This morning Sam was eating breakfast and labeling everything like he usually does: mommy seat, mommy milk (anything I might be drinking is milk, of course), mommy bagel, Sam milk, Daddy seat, etc. Then he started saying, "Bear beeseball, Bubba beeseball." I responded, "yes, Bear plays baseball; yes, Bubba plays baseball, and this weekend we get to see them play basketball!"  Then he said, "Sam, beeseball!" Forgive me for thinking, "Oh goodness, not yet, please! Two is enough!"

Of course, when Sam is old enough, if he wants to play sports – or do any other extracurricular activity like gymnastics, dance, or music; we’re equal-opportunity here – we’ll add Sam’s activities to our hectic schedules, and we’ll keep doing it all as long as the kids are having fun.

When did you give up your weekends (and/or weeknights) for your kids to get involved in activities? Is it always fun and games, or do you, too, sometimes feel a little overwhelmed?


Julie Daneman is wife to Bryan, Stepmom to Jacob and Caleb, and Mommy to Sam. They are a boisterous, loving, happy interfaith family.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate! With basketball season, we have 4 nights of the week covered and 5 weekends for tournaments. Sometimes, I wonder will I know how to act when all this is over and the kiddos grow up? I do love it though.

    ReplyDelete