Thursday, December 6, 2012

Silence Renews

At work I am surrounded by busy people typing, meeting, talking on the phone, laughing and moving around. In the car I have the radio going most of the time. At home there is rarely any silence between the kids, cats, dogs and the bustle of day-to-day life. (And I don’t know about you, but if the kids are silent, it’s time to investigate.)

How often do we have a truly silent moment?

Regardless of your spiritual preferences, almost every religion and spiritual practice recommends silence at some point. Whether it’s to connect with God, to connect with the world or to connect with yourself, silence is pretty much universally recognized as a way to disconnect and reconnect.

Lately I’ve been more conscious of silence. It’s so rare, that I have truly come to appreciate quiet. I found that when I was younger, I needed to fill silence. I’d turn on the radio in my apartment when I was alone. I would even fill the silence in a conversation. 

But as I’ve gotten older, I appreciate silence as a momentary gift. One where I can stop focusing for minute. Where I can stop making my mental to-do list or stop obsessing about things that didn’t get done that day. In those silent moments, I relish in the fact that it’s about to get noisy again. I am grateful for each moment life brings and pray for continued well-being.

It’s in the silence we have a chance to find a little peace in a crazy world. 

What do you do in your silent moments?


Reace Alvarenga-Smith is a Mom of two in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

No comments:

Post a Comment