Friday, July 19, 2013

Cousins

My kids had the opportunity to hang out with their cousins from my husband’s side of the family during a recent vacation. My brothers-in-law have a total of five children. Our kids all range in age from four to 12. There are four girls and three boys. T. and H. happened to meet one of the four-year-old cousins for the first time on this trip.

It’s such fun to watch the cousins interact. First there’s the cautious “Who are these people and do I have to like them?” Then there’s the “OK, they seem nice. But I’ll stick close to my group just in case.” Then you see “These are the best people in the world!”

Together they tackled water slides, roller coasters and escaping excessive hugs from the grownups. They bonded over sandwiches and ice cream. They created a fire truck with chairs at a restaurant while the adults reminisced. And they created some of the best memories to share with each other and their future kids one day.

It warmed my heart to see the kids interact. I hope they can maintain these relationships, even after they are adults.

Cousins are friends that happen to be related.

Reace Alvarenga-Smith is a Mom of two in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

No comments:

Post a Comment