Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Turning in the Mommy Card

Please tell me I’m not the only Mom who has days like this.

One of my most recent text conversations with my sister (a fabulous mom of a teen and twin 10-year-olds – all boys) went a little something like this:

Me: Ugh. Do you ever have days where you just want to turn in your Mommy card and quit?

Sis: Yes. Frequently. I turn to wine, Kohls, chocolate, and hot soaks in the tub. When that doesn’t work, I yell a lot. It isn’t pretty. I’ll win no awards. As long as they don’t need therapy, right?

Me: LOL. True. The big boys have been great today. It’s the little monster that’s driving me crazy.

Sis: In my house they usually take turns being the monster. It’s a blessing, really. I secretly wonder if they have a sign up sheet because I can’t remember a time more than one was a twerp at a time.

This exhange came after a busy Saturday that included a company picnic, a pool party, very little nap, and a late bedtime, Sam had a rough Sunday. He was up super early (have I mentioned he’s suddenly turned into an early-morning child?). There was a poop …incident. There were multiple meltdowns and refusals to listen/cooperate and just a general “terrible threes” day. Or maybe it was a typical day for a three year old – I don’t know. I really figure it was mostly caused by him being so tired from the previous day’s activities. Regardless, it was a rough day, even by my standards.

And prior to the above text conversation, this Momma was having a bad case of the guilts about how poorly I felt I was handling it. But after hearing that someone I consider a Momma to look up to has days like that, too, I felt a little better.

What helps you through rough parenting days?

Julie Daneman is wife to Bryan, Stepmom to Jacob and Caleb, and Mommy to Sam. They are a boisterous, loving, happy interfaith family.

No comments:

Post a Comment