Friday, July 26, 2013

Mommy Time Out

I’m sure many of you have heard of the “Mommy time out” some of you may even be Pro’s at it! Well I have decided to add it to my discipline arsenal.

I have been reflecting the last couple of days because Henry and I can’t seem to get it together. And for all those who said three years old is worse than two, you were RIGHT! Right now age two is remembered like a honeymoon, peaceful, relaxing, loving and overall enjoyable.

I feel like I am in that movie “Groundhog Day” where they keep reliving the same day over and over, except the title to my movie would be “Opposite Day” as in do the opposite of whatever Mom says. There have been lots of tantrums and throw downs on both of our parts.

But today I tried the “Mommy time out.” Henry went to his room, kicking, screaming, yelling, the whole bit. And once he finally stayed in there I went and took my own moment in the living room. After about 5 to 6 minutes I went to his room and he had calmed down and I had too, after a hug we were both feeling better.

I get too easily riled up like Henry does and I’m hoping that putting myself in time out will get my head to settle back on my shoulders, and maybe even lower my blood pressure, making me a more rational parent.

I have a dear friend of mine who is also a wonderful role model of a parent. We used to teach together and she is one of the sweetest, calmest and loving people I know. Her children are angels and are going to be beautiful adults one day. During my time out I just kept thinking what would she do? Trying to come at the situation from another angle. I also kept telling myself this is not going to matter in 30 minutes, he’ll forget and I will too, say what needs to be said and move on. I also decided in this time that I need to read again, find a good book to escape into and that my mom workout group needs to be longer than just one hour a day. Because sometimes that is the sanest hour of the day for all of us.

What works for your family?

Laine Moses is a stay-at-home-Mom to Henry and Lucy.

No comments:

Post a Comment